Friday, November 2, 2012

Bathhouse Part II 목욕탕


   Outside bath and sauna

The very first blog entry I ever wrote was about Korean bathhouses.  Like most BJJ practitioners, my body is usually sore.  My neck, head, and back have been particularly sore this week due to the efforts of an overzealous white belt.  These places are a life saver, and I don't know what I would do without them. 

Tonight I decided to take a night off from the gym and spent my time at the bathhouse across the street from my house.  It's actually the nicest one in Busan (and probably one of, if not the best bathhouse in Korea). 

I was able to snap some pictures at closing time after everyone was gone.  Unfortunately, these few pictures don't do this bathhouse any justice.  The center piece of this bathhouse is the large hot bath in the middle of the downstairs area that has two enormous, stone turtles spouting hot water.  Above the pool is a giant glass dome with a stone engraving that runs the length of the bottom of the dome.  Surrounding the main bath is a Greek statue and various plants and trees.

I found some fantastic pictures of the bath here.  Check them out:
http://busan.for91days.com/2012/06/26/oncheons-heosimcheong-the-largest-spa-in-asia/

                     Philosophy Bath

    Salt Bath

                     View of the bathhouse from my apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment